Friday, February 19, 2010

Cold Turkey

Somehow I gave up Facebook for lent. It came down to Facebook, Beer or my girlfriend. I thought this was the safe choice. I also was surprised that this was still one of the few Ash Wednesday services I have been to in my life. I thought it would be different BUT when they had a children's service it felt like the same old thing.

Since I brought up the children....I would like to go on a rant. I feel safe because of the group that reads this stuff. I like the church I go to these days. I have felt very welcomed there by the congregation, or at least by everybody that isn't my age. It seems like the people my age, that seemed to be married with kids, have more to worry about. Oddly enough they do not worry about getting their children to there rooms or classes during the service. It seems like these couples have a plan in mind when they spread out throughout the service. The toys, the talking the wrestling - well it can get out of hand. I laugh at the parent that keeps leaning over and saying 'shh' every five minutes. They are pulling me away from the service more then their kid. That and when the kid realizes that the only thing that is going to happen in a 'shhh' every couple minutes are they really going to stop? Nope. I am not a parent, and many people and waiting for the day to see what I do, or better yet what my children will do to this world BUT what is the official time frame for taking a crying baby out of the room? Is it one minute, two, three or five? It baffles me that parents just sit there with crying kids going along like nothing is happening. It is like when they get in this setting they stop listening or caring. It can be comical. Yes, I am a little old school and even wound tight on some issues.

eek, I will stop. I better go have a cup of coffee.

This might be hard for all of us if I keep ranting for 40 days.

No comments: