Tuesday, November 10, 2009

An Old Man

This summer my back went out, and it has not gotten better. It brings a lot of stress into my life, and attitude. Something between a hot poker and getting hit by a bat in my lower back. If this is how it is going to be the next 30 years - check please!! If you were able to take away this pain - I would give you almost anything! Really.

So, being a substitute teacher is challenging. It is kind of like being a lazy secret agent. Every morning you get a call, an unknown assignment. You do not know what you will teach, where you will teach it OR how old the students will be..... lazy because all you have to do is say no thank you. I have been getting calls for the past week - which is really good! My very first two calls I didn't answer 1- because who in there right mind answers the phone at 5:30AM? 2- because I thought it was a creditor :). At this point I got smart(er) and put the number in my phone. The next two calls I kept putting in the wrong pin number - no kidding. The Minneapolis District and the Hopkins District use the same automated system, and I have a separate code for both - so you have to listen very closely to that early morning call. This past Friday I used the right code, very proud of myself for getting to this point I presses the wrong number and did not take the job. Falling back into bed I decided to take care of the gf's backyard of leaves for my mistake. Yesterday I was in Hopkins - my old stomping ground. This more I mulled over the job that I got called on - in the future I will take this BUT today I didn't think I was ready for Jr. high special education. Next time.

Yes, as I just reference I am still dating a very nice lady. For her efforts in our community ed. class she should get at the front of the line in heaven. We get taught a LOT of steps each week, and the teacher is so-so AND I am going against generations of thinking among my people ( the Scandinavian up tight variety). Tonight is our last class - prayers people!! I told her that I would be amazing AND that she would have fun. I am unsure of how many preclass drinks I will need to pull this off.....any guesses?

My thesis is with my adviser, so I have been relaxing. I might have even 'wasted' some time on Saturday sitting on the couch watching a movie on tv. The roommates are great! The house is pretty clean, and the garage looks amazing. My glass is half full, and my only problem is that I want to keep drinking it.


No funny stories this week. Say a prayer this weekend for safe travels, and just plain safety. JW and I are going up north to chop wood this weekend. This time there will be no Tequila!!

Enjoy the weather, it will not last.

No comments: